Friday, February 28, 2014

Behind the Shower Curtain

The movie "Psycho" probably just popped in your head.  Lol. I totally get that. But, this post has nothing to do with serial killers or people hiding in our showers. Sorry to disappoint. Sometimes, just for fun or out of sheer boredom, I search the internet for unusual things. Did you know that there are decals for your toilet seat that have things like spiders, monsters and snakes on them?? Yea, at first glance it looks like these "things" are right there or are coming out of the toilet bowl to get you! Other things that I have found by happenstance are bed sheets and linens that look like packing crates or have supermodel bodies on them minus the head.  Odd. For me, individuality is an awesome thing. The freedom to be creative and stand out in your own way is priceless. I know people whose home is their show place. It is like the Louvre or the Taj Mahal. I have seen people that so elegantly decorate that even their bathrooms are like works of art.



On the other hand, I know people who use their spaces as a comfort, an extension of who they really are. This is more the type of person that I am. A bit of whimsy, eclectic style and diversity speaks volumes in our house and in our life. I am the type of person that even if money was no object, I could not and would not spend $300 dollars for a bath towel or a shower curtain rod. Sure, you want things to be nice and functional, who doesn't? But excessive? Yea, not my style. Growing up in the 80's there were few choices as far as bathroom or even kitchen things went. You had the basic hand towels, the general soap dishes, the usual pot holders etc. These days though, if you can imagine it, it is probably out there.  Have you seen the social media bathroom decor?? Or the texting code shower curtains? These things are great!! I think too often, we get caught up in the "if it's on a tv show" or "a celebrity has this" then I have to have it too. Why be cookie cutter or totally predictable? Why keep up with the Jones'?  Be an individual!! 



Now this is refreshing. If you cannot enjoy what you have then why have it. It would be like having mannequins all around your house sporting the latest high end fashions. If you have such a need to show off in that way then perhaps you might have a deeper issue to look at. Just sayin'.  I see posts that friends share on Facebook about these magnificent homes, gardens, cars and other things and they comment "OMG, I would totally die for this!"  I see other friends, who are like me, who post a simple log cabin off the grid somewhere, a simple hanging food plot or a classic old school truck. Nothing fancy. Ahhh, those are the posts I really relate to. I know what you are saying. I have a problem with affluent people. Not at all. I have many friends and family members who are very well off. They honestly enjoy the fine things life has to offer. I could not be happier for them. If that is the way they choose to spend their monies and those things tickle their pickle, fantastic!! Give me a cabin in the woods, with my family, my dog and fresh air and to me that is beyond priceless. The whole beauty of diversity between people is just that. Diversity.....the ability and right to choose as you see fit. Epic. There is no doubt that the things people choose, from the cars they drive to the homes they live in all speak volumes as to the character of the heart. I love technology but at the same time I also love the old adage, Keep It Simple Stupid.  


Maybe I am a dying breed. Who knows. But if that is the case, I embrace my ever increasing rarity with open arms. What I hope we all take from this simple post today is to not be afraid to express yourself. I am not saying go out streaking through the downtown main street, but rather to let some of YOU show through in all that you do. Don't be confined to what others say you should be like or what you should do. There are few musts in our world and most of those are based on legality or religious choices. Both are valid in the proper context. Be expressive, be creative and this will help you to be happy. You can be the richest person on the planet and be miserable. Those who are the richest, are the ones richest is spirit. Let people see what is behind your shower curtain once in a while. We can be respectful of others, our parents and family members and still do this. I am living proof of this concept. We don't need to go off though and be ridiculous like Mike Tyson and tattoo our face or dress like KISS all day though either. There should be a healthy balance in our expressiveness. Over in Europe there is a much more free societal outlook on things. For example, the sight of a bare breasted woman feeding her baby is no big deal. Cultural morays are widely different there than here on our shores. I am not saying that one trumps the other but  it is perhaps more what you are accustomed to. In Germany, graffiti is seen more as art while here it is more of a thug, gang iconic perception. It is curious to me that the same thing only differentiated by geographic location has such different meaning. In the tribal areas of South America the way people interact is questionably different as well. We have some limitations here in America that forbid certain types of creativity. That is not all bad. At the same time, however, it is not all good. What is good for the goose is not always good for the gander, as the saying goes. By using some moral compass and ethical discernment, no matter your location, you can find your sense of diversity. Having shock value or purposely offending someone is not my cup of tea, but embracing what is within us, our God given uniqueness is great. As I said, I like technology. My mom on the other hand likes it simple. An off and on button and she is happy. I respect that. Anyway, just remember in your pursuit of individuality that the bare bones of who we are can be priceless!!


No comments:

Post a Comment