Thursday, January 9, 2014

Nuts and Bolts

So, you might be wondering what exactly does the title of this post actually refer to........I'm glad you asked!

After having been in this great, crazy old world for almost 45 years now, I 've discovered quite a few things. The one major theme that surround everything and includes US are the nuts and bolts. All around us are items, buildings, vehicles, structures etc. that are constructed with some type of nuts and bolts. These fixtures hold things together, help them function and ensure that they are usable. When you think about it, people are no different. No matter our ethnicity, our physical make up, our emotional state of mind, our education or our geographic location, we are all uniquely crafted. We are made up of so many different factors yet we are designed to function. Like cars, old bicycles, and machines, there will always be nuts and bolts that need replacing or tightening. How this ongoing "maintenance" happens is varied. We are human being are just the same. Throughout our lifetime, no matter how long or short, there are many variables that keep us fluid, functioning and even rehab us when necessary. I know in your mind right now you are probably thinking of a hundred different things that do this for us as people. 







These are just a few that
  • Friends
  • Family
  • Jobs
  • Beliefs
  • Morals
  • Ethics
  • Hobbies
 popped in my my head as I am writing this. When you REALLY think about it, no 2 items are ever exactly alike. On an assembly line, even though the same materials are used over and over and the same machines do the same task over and over, there will always be slight differences in each individual item. Again, people like you and me, average everyday people, have those differences too. I grew up in a household with parents who were musically talented. My Mom played piano and sang and my Dad sang, directed music and played the trumpet. From the age of 3 on, I was encouraged to find my musical side, and I did! I have always been so thankful for that gift and for parents that fostered that within me. I digress. The point I want us all to remember from this post is, no matter if we are musical, artsy fartsy, a brainiac, or simply eclectic, we are different. Having iterated that once more, let me follow that with this thought. Back to maintenance. People need maintenance. Maintenance of our emotions, our physical bodies, our minds, and perhaps even our surroundings. We never know how long we will be on the Earth and never know what or whom will cross our path. That is a good thing!! Not only should that fact keep us on our toes, it should encourage us. As I am starting to wrap this up in my mind, I cannot help but think of people, places and things that have helped to "maintain" me. As we all know, there are good forms of maintenance that has a great result and then that which is less than perfect and that can also leave us worse off than before. That is okay. Our bolts that have been broken off due to neglect or mishandling, our nuts that have gone missing and our over all functionality will change day in and day out. Keep smiling in spite of it. To coin the expression, Tomorrow is another day, boasts true. 




We know what is best for our person. We know what people, surrounding and input best suits us. Now, in closing.........We also know, if we dig down deep within ourselves, what maintenance we can provide to others. Yes, others need maintenance too! See, there is our family that we hopefully have a close enough relationship with that we will bend over backwards to help them. Then there are close friends to whom we give a listening ear or advice and encourage. There are acquaintances to whom we offer a smile or a thumbs up or a like through social media. Then there are also strangers, people we have not even met as of yet. What can we do for them? How can we be a help and not a hindrance? THESE are the things I want to leave with you. Those 2 questions. Times of introspection are often some of the best times we can choose to have. Within these times, if we embrace them, we can find new hope, new ideas and even ways to refresh ourselves and rehab from within so that we are certain to help others and not be an object of stumbling. 



NOW,

Go, seize your day, enjoy the choices you make, and choose wisely the paths you take, step by step.

No comments:

Post a Comment